A non-registered plan (commonly referred to as ‘open’ or ‘investment accounts’) enables investors to invest an unlimited amount of money in funds with exposure throughout the world. Non-registered plans are not tax sheltered, the gains and losses declared for income tax purposes.
- No contribution or withdrawal limits
- No account fees
- Potentially higher rate of return than on your bank account
Who should consider a non-registered plan
- Investors who have reached their registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) contribution limits and would like to capitalize on their investments to carry out their plans, while retaining a certain amount of control over their investments.
- Persons wishing to obtain a source of income through a systematic withdrawal program.
- Investors wishing to accumulate amounts in the short term (financial cushion, vacation, etc.).